U-PAss Understanding your BC U-Pass.
What is the U-Pass?
The U-Pass BC is a discounted, unlimited transit pass available to eligible students. The result of successful advocacy from your Students’ Union and student associations across Metro Vancouver. The U-Pass is an agreement between Translink, the provincial government and all students’ associations across Metro Vancouver. The U-Pass BC program is structured as a universal and mandatory program for students at participating public post-secondary institutions. This universal model makes the affordability of the U-Pass BC program possible, saving those who rely on it up to $577 a semester.
Who is eligible?
Eligible students are SUVCC members and fit within the following categories:
- Students in programs and courses for which a T2202A (tax form) is issued (subject to a minimum number of course credits/tuition)
- Students in Adult Basic Education and English as an Additional Language (includes LINC and ESL Pathways) for 12 hours/week or more, or are
- Students in Continuing Studies programs that meet the following criteria:
- the program is full-time and longer than 17 weeks
- the program’s classes are scheduled in such a way as to permit students reasonable (e.g., 4 hours per week) access to the SUVCC office during their hours of operation.
Who is not eligible?
The following students are NOT eligible to participate in the U-Pass program:
- Continuing Studies students NOT enrolled in eligible Continuing Studies courses
Please note that activated U-Pass months cannot be dropped.
Frequently asked questions:
The following students can apply for exemption from U-Pass:
- Students who already have a U-Pass from another institution
- Students who have a transit pass as a result of a disability (e.g. students with a Canadian National Institute for the Blind card)
- You hold another non-transferable transit pass which is valid for each month of the duration of the U-Pass term (e.g. transit employee subsidiary pass).
If you fit the exemption requirements above, please go to the Student Accounts Office with your other pass or proof of exemption and they will be able to opt you out by making a note on your account.
No, the Compass Card is non-transferable. It is recommended to carry your student ID with you while traveling and using your U-Pass.
Your U-Pass can be used on:
- Any Skytrain, Canada Line, and Translink bus across the Lower Mainland
- HandyDART (just show Compass Card for entry)
- West Coast Express
Eligible students need to follow these four important steps:
- Obtain a student ID card from the Registrar’s Office at any of the VCC campuses.
- U-Pass fees will be charged to your student account and all fees associated with registration for the current term must be paid in full before you can get your U-Pass. Your account update will be sent to Translink by 9 p.m. You will not be able to activate your U-Pass until the next day.
- Purchase a Compass Card.
- Log onto upassbc.translink.ca to activate your U-Pass. Please note: it may take up to 24 hours for your account to update.
- You must produce both your student ID and U-Pass upon request when riding public transit. If you do not have either piece, your Compass Card may be confiscated and you may receive a fine.
- U-Pass eligibility may be revoked if services are abused
You are able to obtain a campus card through one of the following ways:
- Online at the Compass Card website (www.compasscard.ca/OrderCard)
- By visiting the Compass Card Customer Service Center at Waterfront Station
- Calling Compass Card Customer Service: 604-398-2042
- Purchase at a Compass Vending Machines, located at skytrain stations
- Purchase at any London Drugs location in BC
For a new Compass Card you’ll pay a $6 refundable deposit.
Yes. You can purchase a new Compass Card and link that card to your U-Pass account in the same way you linked your old card. If you experience trouble linking a new card, visit www.compasscard.ca/ContactUs
Other frequently asked questions
For other frequently asked questions visit VCC’s U-Pass BC page.
How to load your U-Pass
Have other questions? Feel free to contact us by filling out our form and we’ll answer any questions you may have as best we can!