The Students’ Union of Vancouver Community College offices are now open.  At this time direct service office hours will be DTN Campus: Monday and Tuesday 10:00AM – 4:00PM / BWY Campus: Wednesday and Thursday 10:00am – 4:00pm. Appointments may be scheduled outside of these times and most of our services are now available online. Details below.

Accessing Students’ Union Offices
If you have experienced any symptoms of COVID-19, or believe for any reason that you may be at risk of developing symptoms of COVID-19 we ask that you do not enter campus and the SUVCC offices. If alternate arrangements are necessary while you are self-isolating or in quarantine please contact

Please wear a mask and make use of our sanitation stations while accessing the office, and refrain from entering in groups. All visitors will be required to sign in and out of the offices.

We ask that you adhere to posted guidelines within the space. Our detailed safety plan is listed below.

UPass BC
The UPass is a service that is offered to eligible students. Eligibility can be found here. More information can be found on our website about the use of your UPass.

Health and Dental Help
Information can be found on our website about coverage, family add ons, opting out, and how to use the benefits. For additional help, please email the Services Coordinator

Students’ Advocate
Appointments can be made with the Students’ Advocate via this form

Office Services
Printing, photocopying and faxing services will not be available during this time.

Handbook & Dayplanner
2020-21 handbook and dayplanners will be available at the SUVCC office or sign up for your own Welcome Kit HERE.


Notice to VCC Students:

In prioritizing the safety and health of the students, staff, and general public, all Students’ Union offices (Broadway and Downtown) are closed, effective immediately until further notice. The closure is as per recommendation by the government (Federal and Provincial), and the College to limit the in-person contact during the declared public health emergency due to COVID-19. We are deeply sorry that we are not able to offer the services usually accessed through our office and we hope you understand.

We are continually working to find support for students during these times. Students can follow us on our social media (@suvcc)

VCC updates can also be accessed through the bulletin: COVID19 FAQS

If you have any questions about your health and dental plan, contact our Services Coordinator:

For general questions and inquiries, please contact us at

Please practice precautionary measures for your own safety and safety of the people around you. Let us all stay safe and take care of each other during these challenging times.

In Solidarity,

Students’ Union of Vancouver Community College (SUVCC)


The BC Federation of Students have put together some information specifically for International Students.

International students who have been working in Canada and are facing layoffs can apply for EI by following the same requirements and process listed under the Income Assistance tab above. This should be done as soon as possible after stoppage of work to minimize time without income.
It has also been announced by Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) that courses being delivered online because of COVID-19 will not affect eligibility for the Post-Graduate Work Permit Program.
If you are currently in Canada, but your student visa status is close to expiration, you are encouraged to extend your status online. Until a decision is made on your renewal, you are allowed to stay in the country even if your status has expired. However, you are not to travel to a point of entry to apply directly to a border service officer. That travel is not considered essential.
International students who have a study visa for the Spring semester, but have not yet traveled to Canada should check the IRCC website. Travel exemptions for students have been discussed but are not yet implemented. Check this page for more information. 


For post-secondary students and recent graduates who are ineligible for the Canada Emergency Response Benefit or for Employment Insurance, but who are unable to find full-time employment or are unable to work due to COVID-19, the government proposes to introduce the Canada Emergency Student Benefit (CESB). The CESB would provide $1,250 per month for eligible students from May through August 2020, and $1,750 for students with dependents and those with permanent disabilities. The CESB will be delivered by CRA and more details are still to come and will be communicated here.


There are two ways for Canadians to apply: online with CRA My Account or over the phone with an automated phone service. If applying online or by phone, Canadians will receive a payment by direct deposit or by cheque.

If applying online, Canadians will have to sign into CRA My Account. They should go to COVID-19: Canada Emergency Response Benefit in the alert banner at the top of the web page, select the period they want to apply for, declare that they qualify for the benefit and confirm the government has the right payment information.

If applying over the phone, Canadians can call the automated toll-free line at 1-800-959-2019. This is a dedicated line for CERB applications. Before people call, they should have their social insurance number and postal code handy to verify their identity.

Both of these services will be available 21 hours a day, seven days a week. Both services are closed from 3 a.m. to 6 a.m. ET for maintenance.

Federal Government –
Government of Canada Coronavirus disease (COVID-19):

Outbreak Update

Provincial Government
Government of British Columbia –

COVID-19 Provincial Support and Information

This is a time of uncertainty, anxiety and stress. The BC Federation of Students have put together some great resources for any needing some mental health support during this time. Here are some services that could help you out if you’re are struggling:

BC Mental Health Support Line

  • Call 310-Mental Health (310-6789) – no area code needed
  • 24hrs/day, 7 days a week

Foundry BC

Mental Health During COVID-19 Pandemic Webpage (CAMH)

Canada Emergency Response Benefit

The Federal Government will provide a taxable benefit for $2,000 a month for up to 4 months to:

  • Workers who had to stop working due to COVID-19 and no don’t have access to paid leave or other income supports
  • Workers who are sick, quarantined, or taking care of someone sick with COVID-19
  • Working parents who now must stay home because of school and daycare closures.
  • Workers who are still employed, but facing shortages of work or reduced hours who do not otherwise qualify for EI.
  • Wage earners and self-employed individuals, including contract workers, who would not otherwise be eligible for EI.

This new program applies to all these individuals, whether they qualify for EI or not. This program will be managed through the Canadian Revenue Agency, which is expected to provide a more streamlined application process.

Employment Insurance (EI) sickness benefit

The Employment Insurance (EI) sickness benefit provides up to 15 weeks of income replacement and is available to eligible claimants who are unable to work because of illness, injury, or quarantine, to allow them time to restore their health and return to work. Canadians quarantined can apply for the Employment Insurance (EI) sickness benefit.

Please note, EI has waived the one-week wait period as well as the medical note in order to apply. More information can be found here.

If you require the one week wait period to be waved, or would like any more information on the EI Sickness Benefit you may contact them via phone.

Telephone: 1-833-381-2725 (toll-free)
Teletypewriter (TTY): 1-800-529-3742

Employment Insurance

Employment Insurance (EI) provides regular benefits to individuals who lose their jobs through no fault of their own (for example, due to shortage of work, seasonal or mass lay-offs) and are available for and able to work, but can’t find a job.

You may be entitled to Employment Insurance (EI) regular benefits if you:

  • were employed in insurable employment;
  • lost your job through no fault of your own;
  • have been without work and without pay for at least seven consecutive days in the last 52 weeks;
  • have worked for the required number of insurable employment hours in the last 52 weeks or since the start of your last EI claim, whichever is shorter;
  • are ready, willing and capable of working each day;
  • are actively looking for work (you must keep a written record of employers you contact, including when you contacted them).


The BC Government has announced an emergency benefit for workers. This Benefit will be a one-time tax-free payment for British Columbians who receive Employment Insurance or the Canada Emergency Response Benefit. This includes workers who have been laid-off, who are sick or quarantined, parents with sick children, parents who stay at home from work while child care centres and schools are closed, and those caring for sick family members, such as an elderly parent. Workers who are traditionally not eligible for EI, such as those who are self-employed, are also eligible for this Benefit.

More information about the BC Emergency Benefit for Workers can be found here.

The Federal Government has recommended that everyone create an account on CRA website ( and select direct deposit to get their money quicker when the funds start to be disburse.


If at this time you are in need of food support, there are local food banks available. The Douglas Students’ Union offers a food bank. To access the DSU Food bank, please contact – There are also local food banks available.


Rent banks are a homelessness prevention tool that is focused on providing housing stability for low- to moderate-income renters. Rent banks provide financial assistance in the form of repayable loans, to households at risk of eviction for reasons such as non-payment of rent or utilities.


To support people and prevent the spread of COVID-19, theProvince is introducing a new temporary rental supplement package.– The Renter Supplement Package includes:

  • halting new and active evictions, except for exceptional circumstances, so no one is evicted because of COVID-19
  • providing $500 per month for four months to help renters make rent payments; this supplement will get paid directly to landlords after the renter applies.
  • Freezing annual rent increases as of April 1


Customers on a monthly Autoplan payment plan, who are facing financial challenges due to COVID-19, can defer their insurance payments for up to 90 days with no penalty.


The Federal government has put a moratorium on student loan payments. Beginning March 30, 2020 the Government of Canada has paused the repayment of Canada Student Loans until September 30, 2020, with no accrual of interest.


The Provincial government announced B.C. student loan payments will be frozen for six months until September 30, 2020.


The BC Federation of Students have put together a webpage with resources for students. We have taken some information from them and have added it to our page here, but for more information please visit their website.